Off The Track
We love to jump and the Australian Jumps Racing Association are continuing to strive to improve our affiliations to support and promote ex-racehorses becoming performance horses. Through our community, our connections between the racing and the equestrian are diverse meaning that we can offer valuable advise or refer you to a suitable partner of the AJRA.
- Retired thoroughbred racehorses are perfect for pleasure and performance horses, they also appreciate the easier life after a life of racing so enjoy being loved.
- The thoroughbred breed are tough, have stamina and have great agility.
- Highly intelligent and a lot of heart.
- They are pretty sophisticated with large crowds, farriers, vets, physio's and travelling they have a lot of heart, they are athletic and willing and are just plain beautiful.
- If you have the correct team around you (instructors, equine physios, vets, chiropractors, saddler fitters) then to be all around great horses - becoming great jumpers, eventers, show horses and dressage horses.
- Most thoroughbred OTT to be quite social. They are also willing to try really hard.
- Contrary to popular belief, many off the track thoroughbreds are quite level-headed when given the correct training and attention.
- It helps that racehorses are handled extensively when they are young. They are broken in young and exposed to more social environments than your average horse. Travelling a lot they tend to be good shippers and adapt to new environments.
- Thoroughbred's also live their entire racing lives being handled by professionals, so they tend to know how to behave on the ground.
- Thoroughbreds who jump make fantastic showjumpers and eventers.