The Victorian Thoroughbred Racing Industry is concerned for all people and horses currently affected by the Australian bushfires, both within the racing industry and amongst the wider community.
Racing Victoria (RV) is working with Country Racing Victoria (CRV) and our country clubs, as well as the metropolitan clubs and industry associations, to offer support and assistance where they are able.
Wellbeing support and assistance
If you, or someone you know in the racing, breeding or equine aftercare industries, need support as a result of the bushfire crisis, the following services are available:
- STABLELINE – Free confidential counselling for all RV licensed persons and immediate family members, 24/7 psychological support. Visit stableline.com.au or call 1300 520 122
- Assure Services – Free confidential counselling for all RV employees and immediate family members. Call 1800 808 374
Caring for affected horses
The Victorian Thoroughbred Racing Industry is committed to the welfare of all horses, not just thoroughbreds, affected at this time. As such, a specific ‘management of horses affected by bushfires’ fact sheet has been created. This contains advice on making an initial assessment, as well as suggestions on feed and water and treatment for common aliments horses can experience in fires and associated conditions. A copy of the fact sheet is available at racingvictoria.com.au
Currently relief centres have been established at Bairnsdale,Wangaratta and Wodonga. RV will maintain constant contact with these centres to ensure appropriate assistance is provided where required.
If you are available to take horses in or can offer space on your property, please email [email protected]
For anyone needing assistance related to horse welfare, please call 03 9258 4229 or email [email protected]
How you can help?
The Victorian Thoroughbred Racing Industry is working on a number of initiatives, equine welfare support, fundraising activities and practical support for people and participants affected by the bushfires.
We have been advised that monetary donations are most useful, and below are a number of organisations who are supporting the bushfire crisis. The Victorian Thoroughbred Racing Industry, including RV, the metropolitan clubs and CRV, will make a donation to the Bendigo Bank Community Fund.
- Community Enterprise Foundation (Bendigo Bank): communityenterprisefoundation.com.au/make-a-donation/bushfire-disaster-appeal/
- Country Fire Authority: here
- Salvation Army: salvationarmy.org.au
- Australian Red Cross: redcross.org.au
This support will continue as required, for as long as it is needed across the various communities affected.
For additional support and assistance, the following associations are available:
- For jockeys, please contact the Victorian Jockeys Association (VJA): Matthew Hyland, Executive Officer, E: [email protected], M: 0408 753 951
- For breeders, please contact the Thoroughbred Breeders Victoria (TBA): Charmein Bukovec, Executive Officer, E: [email protected], M: 0459 510 506
- For trainers, please contact the Australian Trainers' Association (ATA): Andrew Nicholl, Chief Executive Officer, E: [email protected], M: 0408 138 014 or T: 03 9372 1688